Fields of Study
- Governance & Public Policy
Areas of Interest
- Protest policing
- Political violence in Venezuela
- Fiorella, G. (2019). Will Guaidó Call for U.S. Military Intervention? Venezuela’s Debate Over Article 187(11)”. Foreign Affairs. Retrieved from: https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/venezuela/2019-04-17/will-guaido-call-us-military-intervention
- Fiorella, G. (2019). “‘Operation Liberty: Overview of the ‘Definitive Phase’ in Venezuela’s Political Crisis”. Bellingcat. Retrieved from https://www.bellingcat.com/news/americas/2019/05/02/operation-liberty-overview-of-the-definitive-phase-in-venezuelas-political-crisis/
- Fiorella, G. (2019). “Russians in Venezuela: What We Know So Far”. Bellingcat. Retrieved from: https://www.bellingcat.com/news/americas/2019/04/04/russians-in-venezuela-what-we-know-so-far/
- Fiorella, G. (2019). “Analysis of Nicaragua’s Paramilitary Arsenal”. Bellingcat. Retrieved from https://www.bellingcat.com/news/americas/2019/02/12/analysis-of-nicaraguas-paramilitary-arsenal/
- Fiorella, G., and Waters, N. (2019). “Bogota Car Bomb: What We Know”. Bellingcat. Retrieved from https://www.bellingcat.com/news/americas/2019/01/25/bogota-car-bomb-what-we-know/
- Fiorella, G., and Leroy, A. (2018). “‘We Are Going to Surrender! Stop Shooting!’: Reconstructing Oscar Perez’s Last Hours”. Bellingcat. Retrieved from https://www.bellingcat.com/news/americas/2018/05/13/we-are-going-to-surrender-stop-shooting-reconstructing-oscar-perezs-last-hours/
- Fiorella, G., and Leroy, A. (2018). “Was Óscar Pérez Murdered? You Could Help Us Find Out”. The New York Times. Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/13/opinion/oscar-perez-venezuela-forensic-architecture.html
- Fiorella, G. (2018). “Iris Varela Stars in the Gocho Version of ‘Goodbye, Lenin!'”. Caracas Chronciles. Retrieved from https://www.caracaschronicles.com/2018/02/14/iris-varela-stars-gocho-version-goodbye-lenin/
In the Press
- PhD student Giancarlo Fiorella writes piece on Juan Guaidó and the Venezuelan constitution
- PhD student Giancarlo Fiorella comments on union involvement in the political situation in Venezuela
- PhD Student Giancarlo Fiorella speaks about the crushed rebellion in Venezuela
- PhD Student Giancarlo Fiorella wrote an op-ed with Aliaume Leroy about their open source investigation into the death of Óscar Pérez
My dissertation explores the role of civilian groups in the policing of protests in Venezuela, and engages with the themes of sovereignty, policing and repression.
BA Hons. (Criminology), York University
MA (Socio-Legal Studies), York University
“Making Enemies: Military Justice, Civilian Protesters and “Treason Against the Homeland” in Venezuela”. Law & Society Association Annual Meeting. Toronto, Canada. 2018.
“The Legalization of Electoral Fraud in Venezuela”. Canadian Law & Society Association Technologies of Justice Conference. Oshawa, Canada. 2018.
“When Powers Merge: The Leopoldo Lopez Trial and the End of the Judicial Branch in Venezuela”. Law & Society Association Annual Meeting. Mexico City, Mexico. 2017.
“Que son los estudios socio-legales?”. International Seminar Mexico-Canada: Criminal Policy, Criminology, and Legal Sociology. Mexico City, Mexico. 2017.
“Guarimba: Law and Citizenship at the Barricades”. Canadian Law & Society Association Annual Meeting. Calgary, Canada. 2016.
“Police Reform in Venezuela: Security and Jurisdiction in the Bolivarian Age”. Canadian Law & Society Association Annual Meeting. Fredericton, Canada. 2011.