Department of History
Fields of Study
- Criminal Behaviour
- Criminal Justice
- Law and Legal Processes
- Social, Cultural & Legal Theory
Areas of Interest
- Sociolegal Studies
- History of Criminal Justice
- History of criminal law in the British empire
- Criminal responsibility
- Forensics and the mind
Professor Evans’ research focuses on the history of criminal law in the British empire. She is particularly interested in questions of criminal responsibility, forensics and the mind.
- CRI215H1F Introduction to Sociolegal Studies
- CRI392H1S Topics in Criminology – History of Criminal Justice in the Common Law World
- CRIXXXXHS Guilt, Responsibility and Forensics
- “Heart of Ice: Indigenous Defendants and Colonial Law in the Canadian North-West,” Law and History Review (Forthcoming 2018).
- “At Her Majesty’s Pleasure: Criminal Insanity in Nineteenth-Century Britain”, History Compass 14 (October 2016): 470-79.
BA (History), McGill University
BA (Jurisprudence), University College, University of Oxford
PhD (History), Princeton University